Monday, July 8, 2013

DIY Project--Success!


Happy Monday! Wait, do those 2 words go together in the same sentence!? We had a genuinely low key but good weekend which is always nice. Quality time spent sleeping, shopping, eating & cooking and spending time with Brian & the pups.

I found this canvas painting project on Pinterest (go figure right?) and really wanted to try it out. I thought it would be really cool and I also wanted to make something for my aunt so I thought why the heck not. This was quite the trial and error project, but luckily didn't break the bank and the errors were easy to fix. I got the supplies for about $30 total, but now that I have paint, I can keep using that and I finally found reusable stickers. Basically how it works, is you paint a canvas in stripes with any colors you like. Then you write out a saying with stickers, paint over the entire canvas in black and then peel off the stickers. This was my first attempt:
Mistake # 1: Only painting three large stripes.
 

 I forgot to take a picture with the letters on before painting it black. Mistake #2: Using black acrylic paint to paint the entire canvas.


The final outcome. I was not overly impressed with how it turned out and figured there could be a better way to do this.
 
 
So back to Michael's we went. As a side note, Walmart actually sells canvases that are cheaper and just as good quality. We got 2 for $10 instead of 1 for $10. We decided (yes Brian was helping with this) that we needed a different type of stickers and that using spray paint for the black part might work better.
 
 

We painted more stripes on these to make it look more colorful (Brian painted the top one :))
 

I used stickers that were raised and not made out of paper. They worked SO much better and the best thing: they can be used more than once!!
 

We painted black with spray paint. I think this was the best decision. It was much quicker and turned out 100 x's better!
 
 
The results:
 

I was so, so, so happy with how these turned out and cannot wait to make more of them!





No comments:

Post a Comment

Followers